Monday, 27 February 2017

Art Journal: Spring Is Near

Hello, friends! Welcome to another ART JOURNAL collaboration with a very dear and special blog friend - VICKI PARSON of Stamp Smiles. We are both passionate about art journalling and we have a monthly show and tell. Sure, it's the perfect excuse to get inky and messy but the greater purpose is to inspire and encourage each other... and have fun with it.

The inspiration for my Art Journal came from a couple of birds. I recently saw them busy (re)building their nest in our woodshed. It's an annual affair with these birds. They disappear during the winter months and reappear to start their home improvement projects. It can only mean that Spring is Near!

The stamps featured in this page is by Chocolate Baroque. The birds and the cage are from A Little Bird Told Me. The little flowers in the background are from Seasonal Fragments.

As always, I started by priming the page with Faber-Castell Gesso. Then I applied Folk Art Acrylic Paints with a brayer and dabbed it with a baby wipe; adding layers of colour until I was happy with the blend and texture. The colours I used are: 481 Aqua, 524 Calypso Sky, 634 Hot Pink and 735 Lemon Custard.

To create a border around the page I added darker colours along the edges by blending Faber-Castell Gelatos: BlueberryBoysenberry and Black Licorice.

Here's a close-up of the top half:
To add a little shimmery brightness the background, I dabbed on some Faber-Castell Gelato Metallic Icing. And then I rubbed a little Faber-Castell Gelato Gold Champagne through TWC Mini Chickenwire stencil because... well, why not?! And with that my background is ready for stamping.

First up, I stamped the birdcage from A Little Bird Told Me with Ranger Archival Ink Dandelion and coloured it in with Gold Wink Of Stella. Next, I stamped the birds directly onto the page with Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black. The letters for the sentiment are from Lawn Fawn Riley's ABC also stamped with Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black.

A close-up of the bottom half looks like this:
I stamped the little blossoms from Seasonal Fragments with Ranger Archival Ink Magenta Hue and added little dots in the middle with  Faber-Castell PITT Big Brush pen 125 Middle Purple Pink

I stamped the same birds again with Memento Tuxedo Black onto Neenah White cardstock and coloured with them Copics. Next, I cut out the bodies and adhered them to the page with Ranger Multi Medium Matte. This gave a birds added dimension. Then I coloured the rest of birds with Faber-Castell PITT Big Brush pens: tail feathers (219 Deep Scarlet Red113 Orange Glaze107 Cadmium Yellow); legs (113 Orange Glaze); and branches (175 Dark Sepia). Last bit of stamping: a sentiment from A Little Bird Told Me in Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black

Final touches: shading with Faber-Castell PITT Big Brush pen 156 Cobalt GreenClear Wink of Stella, Stardust Stickles and white highlights. (This page is no where near as bulky as my January Art Journal!)

Challenges: 
HeARTful Stamping 26 Feb: AG + Stamping
Mixed Media World #22: Anything Mixed Media Goes
We Love 2 Create #4: Anything Mixed Media / Creative Goes
Make My Monday #40: Birds
Southern Girls #154: Nature Inspired

Please head on over to VICKI PARSON of Stamp Smiles and check out what she has made. Vicki comes from an artistic family and her projects are simply fabulous.

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you are having glimpses of spring where you are.

Beijinhos!


16 comments:

  1. So where to begin?! I absolutely LOVE that background Asha! Your darker coloring along the outside edges really brings your eye in to those birds! I especially love the white dot detail! I do not have gelatos, but I REALLY love how you've used them on your design here! The names even sound delicious! LOL!! The bird images are just awesome and I just love the gold cages with the Wink of Stella!! Brilliant inspiration as I just loved reading about ALL of your details! Thanks for sharing and inspiring me every single month my friend!! :) You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning work Asha, gorgeous colours and design, I love how you've framed the birds and the fabulous background stamping, love it all, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wait for your month's AJ page for enjoy it my friend!!! :D Such a delight this page!! Pinned immediately! https://it.pinterest.com/pin/534802524487167593/
    I have read all your steps to know how you realized it. Simply fabulous! These birdies are sooo much beautiful and I expecially love the blended colours you used and the adorable little blossoms and white dots details! The gold and metallic gelatos add a fab touch to your composition, the Chickenwire stencil looks amazing and the sentiment is just perfect! Love, love your work of art! You always give me some amazing inspirations and the wish to try myself with AJ... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Stunning Journal page Asha. The colours are amazing..loz

    ReplyDelete
  5. An incredible page Asha, the background is gorgeous and the birds are so pretty. Your little home makers sound like perfect inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and creative! Thank you for playing along with Mixed Media World!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! I love the background and those birds are beautiful. Wish I have the time to play along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous art journal Asha love the background,all the layers and the beautifully vivid coloured bird
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a marvelous and beautiful journal page. Wonderful colors and collage of elements and mixed media on this. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I absolutely love this creation. All the colors and details are just wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is striking! I love this page with the beautiful rich colours and the birds are so well coloured. Wonderful job

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow...this is so fabulous!

    thank you so much for playing along with us at make my Monday!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. stunning page, wonderful background!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning, your background is truly amazing, so much detail and your birds are gorgeous. Good luck. Thanks for sharing with us at Make My Monday. Caz DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely stunning... Love the background you have created... Thanks for joining us at SGC nature challenge. Hugsxx

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...