Wednesday, 7 November 2012

"Uyingcwele Baba"


What's with the title?...you ask. Every Tuesday evening I lip-synch in the company of some very talented singers. And yesterday was a particularly interesting session worthy of mention on my blog. Why? Because we did a South African spiritual in Zulu (oh yes!) called "Uyingcwele Baba".

Zulu is NOT an easy language....trust me!  It's riddled with clicking and clucking, which if not done properly sound like snorting .... not good for choral singing! To make matters worse, this is an action song requiring synchronised clapping, swaying, stomping and other fancy footwork which left us completely out of breath and totally off-key. I have a new found respect for traditional African dances. At the end of this post, I've included a little YouTube of what we aspire to sound like by next week!



Now on to my card - I'm having another go at CAS. It took me a while but I got there in the end. I'm hoping my friend Sandie will see some improvement on my part. The sketch is from Tuesday Morning Sketches #171.






No patterned papers, no stiching, no layering...nada! I simply used the snowflake stamps from WMS Compliments of the Season and Memento Rhubarb Stalk ink to create the background.

Then I cut off about 1-1/2" from the card front and attached a piece of acetate.  Then I stamped that circular design (what is that? candy? wreath?) from WMS Nutcracker Sweet with Memento Rhubarb Stalk. Cut it out with Spellbinders Standard Circle die and layered on Spellbinders Scalloped Circle die. Then I adhered them where CS meets acetate and attached little red bows in between.
I stamped the sentiment on the inside to be seen through the acetate. 3 clear bling... is that too much?
And here's the inside. It is not easy to photograph acetate. The glare is a nightmare...see that streak at the top? Ggrrr!
So there you have it - a CAS Christmas from me. Phew! I'm giving this CAS business a rest...way too complicated! Taking my card to these challenges: Platypus Creek Digitals #19 "Red & White Christmas", Spark Your Creativity Now #3 and Sweet Stamps Blog #90 "Christmas". And as always, swing by MIM#115 and gawk at some lovely creations!

Thanks for stopping by. I'll leave you with a professional rendition of "Uyingcwele Baba". Enjoy!

Beijinhos!



23 comments:

  1. CAS too hard for you?? I think not!! This is beautiful!!! I love the sentiment showing through!!
    Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your card! The acetate on the front is so perfect! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Love the CAS look and great colour combo with the red and white :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful melody! Thanks for sharing the link to the video.

    Your card design is a genius, Asha! I love the addition of the acetate and the use of just stamps instead of patterned paper. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, I completely love this. Have to say it is my favourite of all your cards too date! You rock CAS and am now showing me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card... The design is wonderful Love it!! I enjoyed the video at the end it is so Beautiful.... Thank you for sharing!! Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I love this pretty red and white design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely classic card bruilliant

    Thanks for joining us at platypus creek

    Tracey dt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is gorgeous! Thanks for joining us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card Asha! I love the transparent base - it's such a perfect CAS card. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Asha, so great to see you again at Tuesday Morning Sketches..your card is so awesome!! I love the red and white!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great card and a fabulous blog! I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the LIEBSTER award. Please check out my blog for details and to accept the award! CONGRATULATIONS ON THIS BLOG AWARD!
    Hugs,
    Katherine xx
    http://cropnkathy.blogspot.ca/2012/11/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is gorgeous Asha.. saw this on MIM... Faye

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! I saw you on MIM. I invite you to join me at the ANYTHING GOES challenge here: http://pinandtack.blogspot.com/2012/11/spark-your-creativity-now-challenge-3.html

    Happiness,
    Corrinne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw your card on MIM and came by for a closer look! What a brilliant CAS card this is!
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just fabulous! love the acetate touch too. Saw you over on mim. Joey x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I spotted your lovely CAS card on MIM. Those scalloped circles are so decorative, and what a great idea to connect them with bows. I love traditional red and white Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute card that I saw at MIM. It really looks like you used patterned paper.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely Cas card. I love the colour and design. Saw this on MIM

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful Christmas card. Thank you for sharing with us at Platypus Creek Digitals

    Carolyn
    PCD DT

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi,Asha, this is such a beautiful holiday card. Great take on the sketch ! Thank you for joining Make It Monday this week... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful card. Love the circles and little bows :-)

    I stopped by from MIM. I'm still doing my project, so hopefully I'll still catch MIM#115 ;-)

    Hugs from Slovenia

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is yummy looking! Looks like peppermints! Thanks for joining us at "Spark Your Creativity Now"!

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...