Friday, 24 August 2012

Retirement gift

Friday! Yee-haw!

Hello, my friends! Are you dancing a jig as I am? Friday... probably the best day of the week. Later today we're having a very special ladies-only gathering .... the coven meets tonight! LOL. Frederica, a good friend and bridge buddy is retiring at the end of this month (oh so lucky!!!) and a few of us are taking her out for a meal. We'll make a fuss, she'll protest and we'll all have a gala time. That's usually how it goes with this lot!

Instead of adding to her growing collection of retirement cards, I made a Post-It holder, with a difference. You'll see in the pics what I mean.  And, we've all pitched in to get Fred a year's membership at a Wine Club. Very often Conan and I invite her as our guest at the club events. She always enjoys herself, immensely. I think Fred's old enough to have her own card now!

For this project, I've drawn inspiration from several challenges. The sketch is from Tuesday Morning #160 and the colours are from Colour Throwdown #206. Stitching is the theme over at Crafting For All Seasons #34 and at Paper Play Challenges #34 it's all about sentiment as main image or focus. I'm also incorporating the baby wipe re-inker pad technique from Technique Tuesday August Challenge... albeit with limited success <sigh>.














Here's my project:

The patterned papers are from Basic Grey's "Sweet Threads" 6x6 pack. That paper has a boho-hippie look, which is exactly how I'd describe Fred. 
Here's a close-up of my baby-wipe re-inker stamping. It's speckled, mottled, almost mouldy! So what happened? First I stamped my image on the baby-wipe, to leave an impression so I can choose where to ink. I don't have any solid stamps, but according to Beate Johns in her baby-wipes tutorial over at Splitcoastampers, if using ornamental stamps stick to monochromatic inks. And I, very cleverly, picked peachy-pink tones with some blues and greens.
I applied the pink tones on the baby wipe first, then with a cocktail stick I randomly put tiny dots of blue and green. At this point the phone rings and I leave everything to go have a chinwag. 20 minutes later I come back and continue where I left off... oblivious to the fact that the baby-wipe is not so wet anymore. The result is what you see. 
Quite disappointed with the way this turned out. It's not bold and vibrant. But what was I thinking? Just how feisty can Tattered Rose and Old Paper be? Seriously! Probably high time I retired! The sentiment in the middle is from WMS, heat embossed on blue CS. Other embellis include green twine, a felt flower, pink brad and pearls.
Here's the inside. I embossed the green CS with Crafts Too Love Hearts folder.  The Post-Its are looking a little "fluffy" because I stamped a daisy on random pages. 
 There's a pocket for little notes, tags etc. I've put her membership card there. There's a little compartment the pen ... because Fred is notorious for losing pens only to discover she has 15 buried deep in the carpet-bag she calls a purse!

Supplies:
Tim Holtz Distress Inks: Spun Sugar; Tattered Rose; Old Paper; Broken China; Shabby Shutters
Stamps: WMS Seasons of Love; WMS Vintage Ornaments
Die: Spellbinders Lacey Ovals  S4-314
Paper: Basic Grey "Sweet Threads" 


Today's lesson, my friends, is this: if you want a striking tie-dye-ish image with the baby-wipe technique, don't do what I did.  Here's what you should do if you don't want to end up with a speckled, mouldy mess image:
  • choose contrasting colours;
  • don't answer the phone; 
  • don't spend 20 minutes gossiping about the neighbour's son (or anybody's son); and
  • this is key: get stamping while the baby wipe is juicy. 

Thanks for dropping in for a look-see. Until my next post, y'all have a wonderful weekend!

Beijinhos


Blogged to:
Cinnamon roll (yummy), coffee and 
New release


15 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous,love the design.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantasic project, Asha - I love it when an experiment that you think has gone wrong turns out beautifully like this!!! Your pal, Fred, will love it.

    Thanks for joining us on PaperPlay this week.

    Julie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous and thoughtful gift Asha, and always a pleasure to read your funny crafting tips...thanks :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great colors you used!! Fab tip too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great gift!! Pretty DP's!! I like your re-inked stamp! Sadly, I have no re-inkers so can't even try to do this one! :/
    Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful gift! I love your paper combination, so tasteful, cheerful and happy! Your friend is going to be so blessed. Your crafting tips had me laughing - I hadn't thought of the clock ticking while the baby wipe dried ... but it makes sense :0)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your gift ideas are so creative. And I like the look of the baby wipe and you got a natter with a friend so not so bad x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Asha!!! This is amazing!!! LOVE the colors you chose--and what a beautiful gift! Thanks so much for joining us again at Technique Tuesday--we appreciate your participation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Great post! And, although you consider your baby wipe technique to be a failure, I personally like how it turned out. Great card! Thanks for joining us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an awesome project! I will need to come back and use your idea! This is just a quick note to let you know that a new challenge starts tomorrow at Tuesday Morning Sketches..Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an awesome gift! Your friend will love it for sure! I think the colors came out beautifully! Your lesson made me laugh! (the son part!) Thank you so much for joining us at Technique Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a gorgeous gift, I'm sure your friend will treasure it. I love the fact that you put the extra colours onto your baby wipe with a cocktail stick, it gives a hint of the colours rather than splodges.

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fab Asha! I love the idea of this...may have to give it a go!
    Thanks for joining us at Crafting For All Seasons this week :)
    Lizy DT x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Asha, thank you so much for joining in with us at Technique Tuesday this month. Sorry to hear that you had problems with the technique. If you want to do this again a good tip for you is that you can spray water onto your baby wipe ink pad if it has dried too much. Personally I love the way the colours are slightly muted, those little cocktail sticks of colour are fabulous and it's a beautiful and thoughtful gift hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your card and the technique turned out very well. I love the colours you used for your stamping. The pattern of your stamp worked very well with your papers.Thanks so much for joining us this month at Technique Tuesday. Hugs, Tracey DT

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...