Friday, 20 July 2012

Birthday Wishes



Allo Allo! Happy Friday Crafty Cronies... and Cronnette! That's you, Melissa, precious 14 year old crafter from London, Ontario - thank you for your sweet email. Hope everybody is enjoying the summer... it's positively gorgeous here in Lisbon, now that the winds are back. Helps with the heat, I tell ya! Life on the farm has been hectic: we've had a couple of veterinary situations. More on that later.

First, let me show you the product of my latest obsession - a box! I spent hours taking apart a favour box we received at a wedding last month, only to discover (yesterday!) that the very talented Dawn Griffith has a tutorial on the very same. Save yourselves the hassle and hop on over to Dawn's place for some crafty education. My version is slightly different but the basic concept is the same. I did away with the belly band because I usually tear them or lose them. 

The colours for my box are from The Play Date Café #141 and the birthday inspiration is from Verve Stamps July Diva Dare. You'll also find my box sitting pretty at 4 Crafty Chicks #99 "Make a Box" and Alota Rubber Stamps #87 "Box It Up". I'm also linking it up with MIM #99 "Anything Goes"



So here is "le box" (bad french, I know!). The sentiment on the tag is from WMS Fancy Phrases, stamped with Memento Bamboo Leaves. I tied it to the ribbon with some white and yellow twine. 
The patterned paper is form My Mind's Eye "Pretty Please" layered on some pale pinkish lilac (AKA Tulip!) CS. There's enough coral and pink hues on the paper so I'm not adding more. I want to keep this soft and delicate.
The ribbon is embroidered in yellow which is very pretty, BUT, next time I'll use a double sided ribbon and not worry about the wrong-side showing.


No lid! You simply pull the sides apart! Isn't it cool! 









And it opens all the way down. The box is a cube measuring 2.5" and it can hold a generous quantity of sweet-thangs!
I used thick CS because I wanted a sturdy box. The downside is the folds take up 1/16th here and there and clam-shell mechanism (for want of a better term) leaves a small gap when not tied. Instead of a belly band I've opted for the ribbon & bow look for my gift box.  Following my dentist's advise that all gaps must be filled I've added ribbon strips for that purpose. If you use layering weight CS or double sided patterned paper, there shouldn't be any gaps but you will need something to hold the clam-shells together.





There you have it - a birthday box ready for giving away. Try it out. It's quite a clever little thing and a lot a fun!

On to our veterinary adventures - Rosie, our 10 year old mutt has a boil in her ear causing her considerable discomfort which had to be seen to. And while she was anaesthetised the vet gave her teeth a thorough scaling. Finally - we can breathe again in her company.  Also Andy, our 11 year old mix German-Welsh Shepherd developed some sort of rash on his tail, requiring his beautiful caudal plumage to be completely shaved off. He's not a happy puppy! Grand ol' Dame Xiara is plodding about the house (in her diapers!) making sure everybody knows she's still in charge. Nothing like a peaceful home where us bipeds know our station in life!

On that note, my friends, I bid y'all a splendid weekend. Thanks for stopping by.

Beijinhos!


p.s.
I won! I won! I won!


And another....oh my!
July Diva Dare





Blogged to: 
Gin & Tonic (I've earned it!) and 













23 comments:

  1. Seriously that box is just gorgeous! So much fun. How is Xiara doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your box is beautiful!!! I'll definitely go check out the instructions!
    Oooh! Poor pooches!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Beautiful Box!

    Thanks for playing along with us @ Alota Rubber Stamps!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful box Sasha. Thanks for the tutorial info and I hope Rosie is feeling better. pat k.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an adorable surprise box, luv this.....so glad you played along with the Verve Diva Dare!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, love that ribbon, thanks for joining us at 4 Crafty Chicks challenge, Make a Box. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet little box. I love the way it opens! Thanks for playing along with the Verve Diva Dare. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous box! Thanks for joining us this week at 4 Crafty Chicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, this is just lovely! That box is so cool! And that ribbon is out of this world gorgeous! Thanks for answering the Diva Dare!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic Box Asha. I saw this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello. I saw your Beautiful Box on MIM. faye

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOve how that works! And your paper is so pretty! Saw this on MIM and such wonderful inspiration! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever box! I saw this on MIM and had to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saweeeeeeeeeeet box! I love the elegance of it and the papers you used. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful inspiration with us at 4 Crafty Chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cool creation! It's such a great idea for packaging gifts - Love it!

    I found you on MIM, btw. I happily invite you to join me at Tuesday Alchemy http://tuesdayalchemy.blogspot.com for our newest challenge!

    Lots of joy,
    Corrinne

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fabulous. Cool design and it looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing this at MIM.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And again I'm so happy I popped from MIM to see this! That box is amazing!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a charming box with such a unique opening!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is amazing. I saw it on Make it Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fantastic i would be happy just to get the box, i wouldnt mind if there was nothing in it LOL this is stunning, saw this on MIM and just wanted to take a closer look. Hugs Jox

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw your gorgeous box on MIM and had to take a closer look! It is even neater than I thought! What a fantastic treat box, I love the papers and ribbon you chose!

    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is fabulous, Asha. Love the beautiful ribbon and your stitching is great! Thank you so much for joining us at Make It Monday this week...:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeously creative. Loving the colours and design. Saw this on MIM and just had to come by for a closer look. Hugs Desíre Doing Life Digistamps4Joy DT Member Tammys Scrapin Corner DT Member

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...